January 28, 2016
Chat with friends on Android, BlackBerry and iPhone:
• BBM is always on and always connected – no app to open
• Know when messages have been delivered (D’s) and read (R’s)
• Say ‘hello’ with BBM Voice – free voice calling between BBM Contacts*
• Quickly share photos, files, documents, voice notes and more
• Allow contacts to view your location live on a map, powered by Glympse*
• See when contacts are responding to your message
• Emoticons for every mood and emotion let you express yourself
With BBM, what you share is yours to control:
• Timed Messages: Set how long contacts have access to messages and pictures shared in a chat before it disappears from the screen.**
• Message Retraction: ‘Retract’ a message to remove it from your BBM chat.*
• You choose how to share your information - BBM uses PINs instead of phone numbers or email addresses so that it's more private, and you always control who can contact you
• You choose your contacts – 2-way opt-in means you have control over who is able to message you
Chat and Share with many at once:
• Groups – BBM groups help you share pictures, lists, and appointments with group members. You can even be in a group with people who aren't part of your own BBM contact list.
• Multi-person chats – Invite multiple contacts to have a chat together.
• Broadcast messages – Send a message to multiple BBM contacts at one time.
BBM Channels: Join conversations happening now about the things you love.
• Create a new channel to share your thoughts, ideas and passions.
• Subscribe to an existing BBM channel to join chats with others who share your interests.
Create your own BBM profile:
• Post a profile picture using images, pictures or even animated pictures (GIFs).
• Update your status to let people know what you’re up to or how you feel
Download BBM for free today.
Data charges may apply
While these features are designed to remove the message or picture the recipient’s BBM chat view, they do not prevent recipients from capturing an image of the content by taking a screenshot or using an image capture device. Retracting a message after it has been read by the recipient will remove the message from the BBM chat view, but will not affect copies of the message that the recipient may have made prior to the message being retracted.
*Note features not available on Android smartphones running 2.3.x (Gingerbread)
- Read sensitive log data:
- Allows the app to read from the system's various log files. This allows it to discover general information about what you are doing with the device, potentially including personal or private information.
- Retrieve running apps:
- Allows the app to retrieve information about currently and recently running tasks. This may allow the app to discover information about which applications are used on the device.
- Add or remove accounts:
- Allows the app to perform operations like adding and removing accounts, and deleting their password.
- Find accounts on the device:
- Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the device. This may include any accounts created by applications you have installed.
- Add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge:
- Allows the app to add, remove, change events that you can modify on your device, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the app to send messages that appear to come from calendar owners, or modify events without the owners' knowledge.
- Read calendar events plus confidential information:
- Allows the app to read all calendar events stored on your device, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the app to share or save your calendar data, regardless of confidentiality or sensitivity.
- Read your contacts:
- Allows the app to read data about your contacts stored on your device, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific individuals. This permission allows apps to save your contact data, and malicious apps may share contact data without your knowledge.
- Modify your contacts:
- Allows the app to modify the data about your contacts stored on your device, including the frequency with which you've called, emailed, or communicated in other ways with specific contacts. This permission allows apps to delete contact data.
- Precise location (GPS and network-based):
- Allows the app to get your precise location using the Global Positioning System (GPS) or network location sources such as cell towers and Wi-Fi. These location services must be turned on and available to your device for the app to use them. Apps may use this to determine where you are, and may consume additional battery power.
- Approximate location (network-based):
- Allows the app to get your approximate location. This location is derived by location services using network location sources such as cell towers and Wi-Fi. These location services must be turned on and available to your device for the app to use them. Apps may use this to determine approximately where you are.
- Send SMS messages:
- Allows the app to send SMS messages. This may result in unexpected charges. Malicious apps may cost you money by sending messages without your confirmation.
- Write call log:
- Allows the app to modify your device's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. Malicious apps may use this to erase or modify your call log.
- Read call log:
- Allows the app to read your device's call log, including data about incoming and outgoing calls. This permission allows apps to save your call log data, and malicious apps may share call log data without your knowledge.
- Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage:
- Allows the app to write to the USB storage.
- Read the contents of your USB storage:
- Allows the app to read the contents of your USB storage.
- Take pictures and videos:
- Allows the app to take pictures and videos with the camera. This permission allows the app to use the camera at any time without your confirmation.
- Record audio:
- Allows the app to record audio with the microphone. This permission allows the app to record audio at any time without your confirmation.
- View Wi-Fi connections:
- Allows the app to view information about Wi-Fi networking, such as whether Wi-Fi is enabled and name of connected Wi-Fi devices.
- Read phone status and identity:
- Allows the app to access the phone features of the device. This permission allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call.
- Control vibration:
- Allows the app to control the vibrator.
- Run at startup:
- Allows the app to have itself started as soon as the system has finished booting. This can make it take longer to start the device and allow the app to slow down the overall device by always running.
- Control Near Field Communication:
- Allows the app to communicate with Near Field Communication (NFC) tags, cards, and readers.
- Pair with Bluetooth devices:
- Allows the app to view the configuration of Bluetooth on the device, and to make and accept connections with paired devices.
- Send sticky broadcast:
- Allows the app to send sticky broadcasts, which remain after the broadcast ends. Excessive use may make the device slow or unstable by causing it to use too much memory.
- Create accounts and set passwords:
- Allows the app to use the account authenticator capabilities of the AccountManager, including creating accounts and getting and setting their passwords.
- Read Google service configuration:
- Allows this app to read Google service configuration data.
- Prevent device from sleeping:
- Allows the app to prevent the device from going to sleep.
- View network connections:
- Allows the app to view information about network connections such as which networks exist and are connected.
- Set wallpaper:
- Allows the app to set the system wallpaper.
- Change your audio settings:
- Allows the app to modify global audio settings such as volume and which speaker is used for output.
- Full network access:
- Allows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols. The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet.
- Receive data from Internet:
- Allows apps to accept cloud to device messages sent by the app's service. Using this service will incur data usage. Malicious apps could cause excess data usage.
Allow a user to control notification previews
Allow a user to scroll through group picture gallery
BBM Protected updates:
Users can now send high priority messages within a chat
Team chat – allows users to set a chat subject, and invite team members
Multi-person chats now show Delivered and Read notifications